Saturday 7 January 2012

Travel Photography By a Complete Amateur

Some of you may know that my wife is a travel photographer, although she prefers to use the term 'visual storyteller' (www.lauracookphotography.net). Laura recently won The Guardian Travel Photography 'Been There' Competition with a shot for the 'Solitude' theme, an image taken in a vocational college in northern Sierra Leone.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gallery/2011/dec/28/been-there-photographs-year-2011#/?picture=383572093&index=10

I on the other hand, am a complete amateur who uses compact cameras but enjoys beautiful scenes or landscapes. Although many out there may cast a critical eye over some of these, what I know is that I love them and when I look at them I am instantly transported back there. 

So here are my top ten favourite travel pictures I have taken in no particular order... let me know what you think. They will enlarge If you click on them.


This is Peyto Lake in the Canadian Rockies. I hadn't seen a picture of this place before I arrived and it took my breath away. Taken in August 2001 on a Pentax Efina APS 




This is Reine which is a town in The Lofeten Islands, Norway. I had seen a picture like this in the Lonely Planet guide so I wanted to replicate it. Taken on a Canon Ixus 40 in August 2005




This is Mt Cook being reflected in Lake Matheson, South Island , New Zealand. It is not the normal place for photos but I liked the framing of the trees and almost as soon as I'd taken it the wind got up and ripples appeared on the lake. Taken on a Pentax Efina APS in December1998.




These two pictures of Victoria Falls were taken during an Ultra Light flight. To this day I think it is the best experience I have ever had. Taken on the Pentax Efina APS in June 1999. 




This is a scene from the Amalfi Coast in Italy. Taken in June 2006 with a Canon Ixus 40.



This was the view from our bedroom window at Franco's place, Sussex, Sierra  Leone. Taken in March 2011 on a Fuji Finepix JZ500

The final three pictures were taken in August 2007 in the absolutely stunning country of Iceland. They were taken on my Canon Ixus 40 

Landmannalauger

Thingvellir National Park

Gulfoss Waterfall





     

4 comments:

  1. These pictures are lovely. I am also into traveling. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miggy, what a lovely comment.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice ones!! My favourite: Landmannalauger. I have to go to Iceland...one day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anja, we were very lucky with the weather when we went to Iceland. Its expensive though but we went with a UK based Christian holiday company www.oakhall.co.uk - 2 weeks for approx £1000
    Many non Christians go too, there's no pressure...just lovely people.
    I turned that photo into a 6 piece canvas btw.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete