Tuesday 18 June 2013

Travel: The Great Wall of China

It had always been a dream of mine to stand on The Great Wall of China and my dream was realised in 2004 when I was asked to lead a school trip to China. Alongside some colleagues we flew 11 great students to Shanghai for a three week immersion course based in Pudong, the 'new' part of Shanghai that was being developed. 

I vividly remember being called into the Headteacher's office and worrying slightly about what I'd done wrong. There was no need to me to be concerned however, Paul, the Head welcomed me in a came straight out with the question - 

"Steve, would you like to lead the trip to China in July?" 

I couldn't believe my luck and my response was immediate - 

"YES

It got better. Paul also said that while we were in Shanghai, the teachers could take it in turns to have a mini-break and head off to Beijing for a couple of days, but ensuring we had enough staff for the small group of students we were taking care of. 

When the time came I flew to Beijing and stayed at The Holiday Inn. I had also been advised by two friends to visit the wall at a place called Simatai.

I spent my first day in Beijing seeing the sites (a forthcoming blog) and looking for a backpackers tour company. I found the perfect trip to Simatai at a youth hostel and booked on. Next day I got myself back to the hostel and set off with some English folk, a young teacher whose parents were visiting and a couple just starting their round the world adventure. 


Simatai is 120km north-east of Beijing and is away from the tourist trap of Badaling. As a result the Great Wall is not as well maintained but is less busy and has hardly any stalls of 'tat'. Upon arrival there was a choice of walking up to the Wall (2/3 hours) or taking a cable car. We chose the cable car. 

Unfortunately it was a very misty day so my views (and photos) were not the best. But, I was there and I fulfilled another travel ambition.

       













There was one final thrill of the day - coming down. Although there was a choice of walking, I preferred the zip-wire. It was a good choice! 





1 comment:

  1. omg just awesome cookie and yep I would have done the zip wire as well; good choice :-) Alicia

    ReplyDelete