Monday 29 July 2013

Travel: Roman Amphitheatres

I watched 'Gladiator' last night and having returned to the Olympic stadium this weekend for the Anniversary Games (one year after I performed in the London 2012 opening ceremony) it got me thinking about stadiums and in particular the Roman amphitheatres that I have had the pleasure of visiting over the years. 





The Colosseum - Rome


I think that the Colosseum looks better from the outside. Don't get me wrong, it's great to go inside but it's splendour in my view is from the outside.    








El Djem - Tunisia


The amphitheatre in El Djem is one of the biggest in the world and was built around 238AD











Arena di Verona

The Arena in Verona is another well preserved Roman amphitheatre and is well known for hosting opera. 





Photo courtesy of Paul Stevens. 



 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment