Friday 26 December 2014

Seven Top Experiences in 2014

Although 2014 has been a very tough year for me personally (amongst other things I lost my father unexpectedly in June), I have still enjoyed some wonderful experiences at home and travelling abroad. Here are my top experiences in 2014.  


1. Playing Golf in Freetown, Sierra Leone

My most enjoyable Saturday for my whole Sierra Leone experience was playing golf at Freetown Golf Club which sits right on the Atlantic Ocean. It was particularly interesting due to the fact there are 'browns' rather than 'greens' (browns being sand mixed with oil) which took a couple of holes of getting used to. It was also nice to have a caddy for the equivalent of £2. He definitely helped! 


   


















2. My First Flying Lesson - Oban, Scotland

Laura and I had the most amazing three week holiday driving around Scotland in the summer. One of the highlights was my birthday present from Laura, a flying lesson. I was so lucky to have such a clear day - it really was amazing.













3. Highland Games, Portree - Isle of Skye, Scotland 

I have previously blogged about the Highland Games (http://travelhappinesslife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/travelling-scotland-skye-highland-games.html). It really was a fabulous spectacle and something else to tick off the bucket list. 





Used with permission from www.lauracookphotography.net

4. Back to the Future Secret Cinema 

Back closer to home I attended my first 'secret cinema' which was for one of my favourite films - 'Back to the Future'. The production in which they created a full scale 1955 Hill Valley in the Olympic Park in Stratford which was their most ambitious to date and hit the news when the first few performances were cancelled. My mate Sam and I enjoyed visiting Lou's Cafe for burgers, attending the Enchantment Under the Sea dance and we even recorded a tv show at Hill Valley TV. All the while key scenes from the movie were being played out around us. We saw Marty's audition at cafe 80's and the famous cafe scene just before the chase. After all that excitement we settled down to watch the movie which was projected onto the town hall. Key scenes were played out throughout the movie too including using the Delorean. A thoroughly entertaining and unique experience. 






5. Trabi Safari in East Berlin 

This was an unexpected highlight of our trip to Berlin in October but driving the famous (or infamous) Trabant car around the streets of East Berlin provided a real hands-on experience of the history of Berlin. 







6. Visiting Camp Nou and Watching FC Barcelona

Being a football fan this is definitely something I have always wanted to do. The reality didn't disappoint.








7. Spending Time with Family & Friends 

This has been a year where love from our wonderful family and friends has meant even more than normal. Thank you for loving us. We love you all so much.   




No comments:

Post a Comment