Saturday 14 January 2012

Personal Photography Favourites

I recently posted about my favourite travel photos I have taken which were mostly landscape shots. 
I have another set of favourite travelling pictures too... those that I'm in. Travel blogs are full of them (not photos of me of course) and why not? We travel and we take pictures and we love pictures of us in these places. 
I have said before in a blog that I am a 'landmark' traveller - I see things in books, magazines, on TV or on the internet and decide I need to visit. Here are my favourite 'personal' travelling pics.

1. Blue Lagoon, Iceland
This picture was taken in 2007, before Laura and I married. We travelled to Iceland with http://www.oakhall.co.uk/ Christian holidays for two weeks. Being situated near Reykjavik, The Blue Lagoon is one of the most popular and famous visitor attractions in Iceland.  





2. Stonehenge, Wiltshire, England
Despite Stonehenge being located in my own country, I still consider this a travelling picture and one I love. Taken in November 2010, this was the first time that I had visited the (at least) 4000 year old monument in my 37 years (although I had passed it a couple of times before). More significantly, it was taken a few months after I had left full time teaching (see reclaiming my life post) and had started working freelance. After 11 years of having to take school holidays - it felt strange yet liberating to be there on a 'school day' in November.




3. Forbidden City, Beijing, China
In 2004 I was asked to lead a school trip to Shanghai and the (brilliant) Headteacher said that during the trip I would be allowed to have a couple of days holiday, leave the students with my teacher colleagues and suggested I visit Beijing. I did and it was brilliant.   




3. The Great Wall, Simatai, China (and descent)
Visiting the Great Wall was one of my goals in life, just as visiting Antarctica is currently. I was advised by a couple of friends to go to Simatai which was less touristy. On the day I was with a great bunch of people who were doing the trip from a Beijing youth hostel (while I lived in luxury at the Holiday Inn). Disappointingly it was very foggy on the day so distant views of the wall were not great. 


The descent from the Wall was a real highlight. It wasn't compulsory but a daredevil like me couldn't resist. I'm wondering why the the operator of the zip line looks so pensive? Maybe he's not so confident the line will hold. 




4. Sydney Opera House, Australia
I have already referred to this photo in the 'My Love of Travelling Part 1" post (http://stephendcook.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-love-of-travelling-part-1.html) and needless to say this photo was one I dreamed about for a while. It was taken in January 1999. 
  



5. Kings Canyon, Northern Territory, Australia
While this isn't a classic landscape or exciting photo, I love it because it shows the freedom of travelling in wild landscapes. It was taken in April 1999.




6. Whitsunday Islands Cruise, Australia
A highlight of travelling the East coast of Australia is a cruise of  the Whitsunday Islands. This photo was my attempt to replicate Duran Duran's Rio video (below) taken in 1999.






7. Pipeline Bungy Jump, Queenstown, New Zealand
Along with skydiving, completing a bungy jump was a 'must-do' on my travelling list. The first photo is the one taken by the bungy company and the second one is me in action. December 1998.     





8.Ben Nevis, Scotland
After a ten hour drinkathon in a rainy Fort William the day before, walking up Ben Nevis was not on my agenda of mine and Ricki's short tour of Scotland. However Ricki was adamant and we reached the highest point in the UK in early September 2002. I was secretly delighted we did it although we both suffered sore legs and looked like a couple of geriatrics for the following few days.  




9.Milford Sound, New Zealand
Milford Sound is 'must-do' place to visit in New Zealand. I was so lucky to have no rain on my visit, quite a rare occurrence. Mitre Peak (highest peak in photo) is a mile high. A stunning place that I visited in December 1998.




10. The Leaning Tower, Pisa
The Leaning Tower is one of the most iconic structures in the world and I was really excited to go and see it on my honeymoon when Laura and I inter-railed around Europe (August 2008). I am aware that the photo is pure cheese...but sometimes pure cheese is ok in your travel pics!

  



No comments:

Post a Comment