Friday 3 February 2012

Wonderful Wonderful Venice

Venice is one of the greatest cities in Europe. Laura and I visited for our honeymoon and it didn't disappoint. We stayed at the Hilton on La Guidecca island for our visit which was a short water bus away from St Mark's square (below).



San Marco Piazza
View from the bridge of Sighs
The Famous Rialto Bridge

San Giorgio Maggiore















       While not being particularly cheap, a 'must do activity is a gondola  ride. 


A top tip is to get a pass for the water bus which (like a tube pass) will allow you on any of the routes. 

With that pass, explore some of the other islands. We visited Lido and Burano (see below)  

Beautiful Coloured Houses in Burano





  





2 comments:

  1. I have yet to visit Venice. It is always portrayed as such a romantic city, and since I am hopelessly single (probably something to do with my ceaseless wandering), I have not yet visited there.

    That's interesting, I didn't realize it worked like that, with the water passes and pre-determined routes. Guess its not quite the freedom of the water I expected hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Derek,
    You can use water taxis but they are expensive. The water buses are just a convenient and cheap way of doing it. Amazing city. If you arrive into Venice by train (rather than fly in), as you leave the station you are instantly in the middle of the city and staring straight at the canal. Very different to many other cities in the world. I can recommend inter-railing around Europe too...that's a post to come.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete