Friday 2 August 2013

Travel: The Lofoten Islands, Norway

The Lofoten Islands sit within the Arctic Circle off the west coast of Norway in the Norweigan Sea. Despite being 'arctic' the islands have the largest positive temperature anomaly in the world relative to latitude. This is a result of the Gulf Stream and its extensions: the North Atlantic Current and the Norwegian Current
















There are many attractions to the Lofoten islands including fishing, whale watching, kayaking and cycling and for many the sheer beauty of the islands.

I took a boat from Bodø (which is also the end of the main rail line travelling north) to Svolvaer (only runs summer) (pictures below) before plumping for the Lofoten Hostel in Kabelvag, not far from the the ferry terminal.




I decided to use the public transport on the islands and got the local bus from Svolvaer to the end of the line and back. It was a stunning journey and well worth the 6 hour round trip.










One of the stops I made was in Reine which in its time has been named "the most beautiful place in the world". I wouldn't want to make such a bold statement but it really was beautiful. I was so pleased that I had good weather as the task I had set myself was to get the same picture as in the guidebook. I succeeded (below).


Here are a few more of Reine.




1 comment:

  1. So nice articles, I really enjoyed reading on it. Thanks for sharing!

    Travel

    ReplyDelete