Monday 24 December 2012

Ten Things I've Learned in 2012

1) I learned more about education in less developed countries. 
I thought education was in a bad way in England until I was invited to Nigeria for the Every Nigerian Child Project Summit. Little money feeds down to the schools and teaching quality in many places appears dire. A DfID project in one area found that 86% of Year 4 teachers could not complete the work they were asking the students to do. I also learned about some of the strategies and attempting to improve education here. 

http://stephendcook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/encp-education-summit-abuja-nigeria.html 

2) I learned that I can remember some weird things. 
In April I was listening to The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show in the car and heard a caller regale 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air' to prove he was a 'child of the 80's'. "But that's the 90's" I thought and from somewhere in my head I suddenly remembered the old 'Um Bongo' advert. I sang it to myself and then called the radio station. 5 minutes later I was singing it live on national radio, twice. And guess what? I won tickets to see Kasabian live and acoustic in a tiny 180 capacity venue in Soho.  

http://podcast.as34763.net/oconnell/20120423103059.mp3
(from 30:51& 49:45)


With Underworld's Rick Smith. Earphones not in.
3) I learned how mass choreography works at events like the Olympic Games ceremonies including hours of rehearsals, hours of hanging around and using radios and in ear headphones.

http://stephendcook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/my-story-london-2012-olympic-opening_29.html 






4) I learned that I have a great deal of tolerance of the British 'summer' weather and patience when required to hang around for hours on end as part of an ensemble.


Practising dance moves in the Olympic Stadium during the English 'summer'
Hanging around in the Olympic Stadium

5) I learned that I have no tolerance or patience with drummers who feel the need to tap or bang incessantly on their plastic/metal bins/buckets. It drove me nuts.  

6) I learned that working with Danny Boyle, Rick Smith and Mike Dolbear (opening ceremony) was infinitely more rewarding than working with Kim Gavin (closing ceremony).


7)  I learned that driving around South Africa in winter is a joy, both beautiful and with hardly any other cars about.




8) I learned the difference between a leopard and a cheetah.


leopard
cheetah
     














http://stephendcook.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-safari-diaries-part-1.html


9) I learned that despite doing the world's biggest bungy jump in 1999, I have no desire to do it or any other again. I did however meet the guy that tied my feet up in 1999. 


















10) I learned that God really does answer prayers. 

The opportunities that have presented themselves to Laura and I in 2013 are answers to some big prayers. Since leaving the English education system in 2010 I have been searching for opportunities where I can develop/create/influence an education system/structure that;

a) is not purely about academia and obsessed with grades.
b) allows every child to flourish, whatever their academic ability.
c) offers opportunities in enterprise, creativity and other intelligences.
d) is ultimately child centred and is not burdened by league tables and dubious judgements.
e) is free of morons that believe every lesson must be a prescribed 'formula' and accompanied by a three page learning plan,data demonstrating progress and a seating plan.
f) respects the professionalism of good and proven teachers.    

The opportunities at The Craig Bellamy Foundation in Sierra Leone answer my prayers and fulfil Laura's long time calling of working overseas. She will be able to further her visual communications career and we will both be serving God.
We start in September 2013. http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/ 






No comments:

Post a Comment